
It has shaken me up and I hope,and pray,that the thoughts I have,when they condense down and become plans of action, I can stick to my principles and make something better of myself. I hope I can make my community & the world a better place,in my own little way. I think I have taken the first step - I have become less ignorant & more knowledgeable. That should help!

So, I thought I would share a few things I learnt from the documentary, these are general points that I feel aid in broadening the mind and perspective:
- 90% of foods in a supermarket contain either corn or soy in one way or another.
- The average american eats over 200lbs of meat per person, per year!
- CAFO are "Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations" - and these are today's modern farm equivalents. Except they focus on nothing except efficiency and profit.
- Cows no longer eat grass; they mostly eat corn. And since they're digestive systems are not built for that, this causes many problems. They are fed corn because it is cheap, it is cheap because it is heavily subsidised.
- The cows are packed into enclosures that allow them little freedom. They spend most of the day stood in their own & each others manure. They are cleaned inadequately which means that manure ends up on your meat as it is processed. That manure contains strains of E.coli that have come about due to the fact that the cows are eating unnaturally, that is, they are eating corn. This has caused many many deaths in the US, and globally.
- in the 1970s there were 1000s of slaughter houses in the US, in 2006 there are just 13!
- in 1972, the FDA carried out over 50,000 food safety inspections. In 2006, they carried out little over 9100.
- Due to the diet and the processed nature of the food Americans eat, 1 in 3 Americans born after 2000 will get early onset diabetes - that is, diabetes in their childhood. In minorities, that number is 1 in 2.
The documentary film revealed to me that big business knows these,as well as many other facts, about our food that everyone should know. But they make the decision to create a situation where people are ignorant AND to keep them ignorant they have actually created laws that protect them & people that tell the truth can actually be jailed.
That's right - telling the truth can get you sued, prosecuted and/or jailed.
What kind of society are we living in? Where the profit that a VERY select few make is more important than the health of people, animals and this very planet we depend on?
No comments:
Post a Comment