Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The debate about our oppression rages on...

As I read The Guardian online today I came across many articles detailing peoples opinions as to how oppresses, or repressed or misled us Muslim women are. Well.... I figured I should speak up and at least prove to these people that I could!
They obviously thought that the only type of good Islam was one left behind in the dust pile of history.

You can find the article and the comments and debates raging at The Guardian - just click on the link. :-)

Here is an extract of the kind of debate I was and am still having on there with a number of people:


Who knew I'd be so popular?!

@smellthecoffee:

Please try to wake up & smell the coffee.
You said "How can you understand the concept of freedom if you live your life according to a book written so long ago? "
The very fact that I chose to believe regardless of the dozens on people on here nevermind the hundreds out there, that Islam is barbaric should show you I am exercising my freedom.
What else is freedom but being allowed to make the choices I want to?? Just because I make the choice that you do not or will not agree to or even understand does not make my choice wrong.
I believe Islam makes me a better person, a better citizen; I do NOT believe it makes me an oppressed woman - so why do all of you feel the need to tell me what I am and what I am not?

Secondly, I would not follow a religion I thought was wrong or immoral just like I would not follow a person who I thought was wrong or immoral.

"By all means follow your religion how you see fit, but don't close your mind then get angry when people ask why you follow the koran to the letter."

Frankly I am not angry just frustrated at the level of ignorance and media brainwashing out there. People insist on believing we poor Muslims just do not know our own minds.

@Abugaafar:

"Now you appear to concede the point that in inheritance they are not equal, and say there is a good reason for the inequality. "

I do not believe I conceded anything as I do not believe the inequality exists - do not use current "western" ways of judgement as they have a habit of changing quite frequently. As you stated yourself.

@freewoman:

"Your description of the conditions of marriage are disingenuous. In many places in the world they are used to excuse child marriage. 60% of girls in Afghanistan are married before they are 16 ......"

Once again you are confusing Islam with Muslims. Just because someone does something in the name of Islam doesnt mean that is what islam dictates. I could start a war on peanut butter tomorrow - doesnt mean Islam has anything against it. I would just be another weirdo who happens to be a Muslim.

Education, of Islamic and regular types is the key to fighting this kind of blind ignorance. It is totally wrong that women are oppressed and forced into anything but you have to blame the people for that and not the religion.

@Weeeva:

"Do the uneducated women of Afghanistan have the Quran to guide them?
Are they allowed to read and study the Quran?
Of course not. It is hidden from them. They have to believe whatever they are told by their men folk.
These poor woman don't even know the truth about the very book/books, who's rules,give them such a hellish existence."

Once again, confusion between people and a religion. Remember, Islam is a religion and Muslims are people - and people make mistakes, people are influenced by a variety of factors, people can be wrong.
It is totally wrong that the women in that country, and others, do not have access to their Holy Book or education or their human rights but that is the fault of those who are implementing a version of Islam that they want to believe - it is not what Islam tells us.

@epidermoid:

"Are you to used sexually as a man wills and if not why not if such is the demand of God?"

Are you serious?? This comment made me laugh cos its crazy!!

It is not the command of God that I be used in such a way.

"Will you be beaten for disobeying your husband?"

Islam does not condone the beating of the wife.... trust me, if my husband beat me, he'd get beaten right back.

As for the Quranic quote (4:34) that you quoted the actual accurate translation goes like this:

"Men are the protectors of women And maintainers of women...." The sentence goes on to talk about the fact that this is due to the fact that men have more physical strength than women.... all very straight forward.

@arun1:

"Before we accept as something from God , we have to think deeply about it "
- here you assume I have not done so when in fact I think deeply about my faith everyday, I have questioned it again and again and it has stood up to scrutiny.

And the Quran is from Allah& I do not believe you can prove it is flawed. You are mistaken when you say "as it contains glaring scientific mistakes". Why dont you look these up properly and ask someone about context, metaphors and meanings?

As for the Prophet (SAW) and his multiple wives - he was an exception to the rule and he married many of them as a point out to his followers, in a time when some of this did not even occur to men, that marrying women who were divorced, or raped, or married before, or widowed was ok. In fact he has shown to have stated that marrying more than one wife was extremely hard and very taxing. It has much more significance but its late and I'm leaving it at that.

Adios people - till next time!!

No comments:

Islamic Songs