Thursday, November 05, 2009

British. Muslim. Proud of it.


First and foremost I am a Muslim woman - nothing can change that. I am proudly Muslim and not at all ashamed of my beliefs.

Like many Muslim women in this and other countries, I dress in the way that is recommended by my faith. This means covering up everything except my hands and face; except when in the comfort of my own house, in the company of other women or in front of men I cannot marry.

I am also British. There is nothing that can change that either. Nor do I want it changed. Being British is part of who I am.

I'd like to discuss my Muslim and British identity with every person in the world who feels like the very idea I can be both is confusing and some who seems to have gotten completely the wrong idea.

In an age where people like the BNP (British National Party) get elected to represent the people of Britain in Europe - a party that has long been known to be racist, white-supremicist, Islamaphobic and aggressive- these issues need to be discussed. A party that has a known connection to violent, racist and Nazi gangs in the past few decades. And its not just them, more and more propaganda is spewed out by many about myths surrounding Islam, its women - people from all walks of society have all sorts of views and many of them are completely incorrect and ignorant.

Islam and women is even on Wikipaedia!! See: link

I cannot dispell all the myths about Islam - and I cannot hope to even alter everyones views but I hope that those who I talk to or meet I can help understand a little bit more about Islam and a lot more about Islam and women.

Please read the rest of it, titles "Just some of the reasons why I am not opressed" on: my Hubpage

No comments:

Islamic Songs